top of page

Motion to Change

Getting A Motion To Change


A motion to change is required to change or vary a final order to end a final order regarding such as terms as support, custody, access, or restraining/non harassment order.


The most common reason for this would be to change a child support or spousal support order. This could be because:

  • Your income has changed

  • The support payor's income has changed

  • The child has finished school, married, or moved out on their own

  • The child or children are now living with the payor or a different person

  • The person receiving spousal support is now able to support himself or herself


These changes are called "material change in circumstances" which is a significant change which, if known at the time of the original order, would have resulted in a different order being made. You must be able to show the court that there has been a change in the order to change the order.


For a free 30 minute consultation to discuss your case with an experienced family lawyer in the Hamilton area, or to file a motion to change orders relating to your separation, please contact us.

bottom of page